FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Kennel Attendant provide compassionate and attentive care of the animals at all times, maintain a clean healthy environment for the animals, assist members of the public to facilitate adoption and surrender of animals, and other duties as assigned.
- Following all policies and procedures as well as working effectively, efficiently and in accordance with the organization’s policies.
- Treating all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance.
- Monitoring the health of animals in shelter, and entering shelter, on an ongoing basis to rapidly identify any health problems or conditions. Reporting to management or medical personnel immediately.
- Husbandry of all animals in shelter. Daily, thorough cleaning for all animals. Feeding and providing water for the animals, including providing special diets as needed.
- Janitorial duties as assigned including but not limited to laundry, shoveling, sweeping, mopping, washing windows, etc. both inside the buildings and surrounding ground areas.
- Timely and accurate data entry into applicable data bases, including but not limited to intakes (surrenders, strays, transfers) and outcomes (adoptions,transfers,return to owner, and euthanasia, etc.).
- Proper handling and accounting of all fees taken by Morris Animal Refuge.
- Assisting prospective adopters in meeting new animals, reviewing medical and behavior information accurately, and assisting with dog to dog introductions if needed.
- Administering vaccination, examination, performance of medical treatments, including assisting with and performing euthanasia.
- The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare and a willingness to accommodate animals in the work place.
- 1+ year of previous shelter experience preferred but not required
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
EXPERIENCE, ABILITIES AND QUALITIES REQUIRED
- Ability and initiative, work with minimal supervision and direction.
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a culturally diverse staff, volunteers and community in a professional, pleasant, respectful, courteous and tactful manner at all times.
- Maturity, good judgment and a professional personal appearance.
- Strong problem solving skills -- focusing on finding solutions to problems and challenges.
- Ability to lift and move objects and animals weighing up to 50 pounds for short distances and to humanely restrain an animal when necessary.
- Comfort and ability to work with animals of unknown disposition and those who may exhibit medical and other problems, as well as aggressive tendencies.
- Valid driver license with no record of convictions preferred.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR, Assistant Shelter Manager and Shelter Manager
HOURS FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT POSITION Full-time position requires a minimum of seven and a half (7.5) hours per day, thirty seven and a half (37.5) hours per week. Part-time position hours are dictated by the needs of the organization. Daily hours and days of the week (for both full and part-time positions) may vary according to the needs of the department schedule includes: days, nights, weekends, holidays, overnight, and on-call work.
INTRODUCTORY ASSESSMENT PERIOD The introductory assessment period runs from the date of hire for three months thereafter. For employment in any position with the Morris Animal Refuge, this introductory assessment period is the period during which the specifics of the job are learned. During this period, either the employee or the Morris Animal Refuge may end the employment relationship without notice or prejudice.
EMPLOYMENT There is no minimum period of employment guaranteed or implied by acceptance of an employment offer. It is the policy of Morris Animal Refuge that even exempt positions are governed by the needs of the agency, which means that employment is for no specified term and either Morris Animal Refuge or the employee, may terminate that employment at any time. The Executive Director has final authority over these decisions and determinations.
TO APPLY Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.